Thursday, October 14, 2004

Google Does It Again

I love google.com. I even have it as my homepage. It is simple clean and loads fast. Google is rarely down and so if it doesn't come up, there is an instant tip that something is wrong with our internet connection. Google keeps amazing me, setting the standard for new services, like mega-space for online email storage and even ownership of blogger.com which I use for this blog. And now, they have done it again.
Today, google.com released their first beta version of a desktop search tool. It is easy to install and easy to use. If you are familiar with Google.com at all, you will be totally at home with the Google Desktop Search tool. I downloaded it on both computers and instantly was in awe of the power of this new search tool, it blows the search tool that comes with windows away! If I type in "kids time" in the Google search space in about 1 second it brings me every document, photo, video, text file, or email with those words included. It doesn't only look in the file name either, it looks in every word of every document. If you use quotes when you search it will bring back items that have the words in quotes in that exact phrase. Once you install it, it does a one time scan, which takes several hours, but only works on it when the computer is idle. After ten minutes I already found files quicker with it, than with the traditional search capabilities. You can check it out at http://desktop.google.com/. And you can see a snapshot of it below. Best of all it's free, so check it out and save yourself some time in your searching.

No comments: