Friday, September 10, 2010

Humbled to Have Help

So, I've been working from home today, sitting at the kitchen table looking out onto a very cool sight.  Fifteen to twenty volunteers from American Airlines and the United Way have been in our (Kevin's) backyard since around 8.  They have been laboring without complaint all day.  We were asked what projects needed done around the house for us and Kevin.  Since, a couple great guys at Highland Park Christian Church built a ramp out front for Kevin's wheelchair, that didn't need done, but there were other needs.  We talked about having a deck to take Kevin out onto, they countered with the idea to have a covered deck.  I told them that if we had a privacy fence, we could take Kevin outside to give him a shower.  We knew we needed a storage building to put things like the mower away to protect it from the elements.  And every time it rains, a small lake is formed in the back fifteen feet of yard.  It causes mosquito issues as well as potential flooding, if we ever get a really hard rain. 

They are doing all the projects.  Wow.  I am humbled by their sacrifice.  I appreciate their gift of hard work.  I am thankful for the good things that God gives us through them, whether they realize they are the conduit of that gift or not.

2 comments:

Karl said...

So when I saw your twitter about AA and United Way helping, I first thought American Airlines. But then I thought, no, why would American Airlines do that? So I figured it was a group from Alcoholics Anonymous maybe. Guess I should have trusted my gut.

Really cool to hear how God uses people.

mcrosser said...

Yeah Kevin worked for American Airlines, so since they do several of the United Way projects each year it seemed natural for this project to be one of theirs.